If you have lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident and the crash was not the fault of the deceased person, as a relative, spouse or de facto partner of that person you may be eligible to submit a fatal car accident claim.

Who can make a compensation claim in a fatal car accident?

To be eligible, the relative, spouse or de facto partner who is making a claim must have been a dependant (in some way) on the person/s who have died.

Relatives who could be considered eligible are:  

  • spouses

  • de facto partners (at least a 2 year duration)

  • parents, grandparents, and stepparents

  • children, grandchildren and stepchildren

  • persons who stood in the place of a parent or child of the deceased person

  • brothers, sisters, half-brothers and half-sisters

  • in certain circumstances, former spouses and de facto partners.

What can I claim compensation for?

You may be able to claim compensation for:

  • funeral and headstone expenses

  • loss of financial benefits provided by the deceased

  • loss of domestic services provided by the deceased.

How long do you have to make a claim after a fatal accident?

It is important to speak with a legal expert as soon as possible.

In the normal course of events, there is a three year limitation period for claims under the Fatal Accidents Act. This means that legal proceedings must be commenced within 3 years of the date of death(unless the claim has been settled beforehand) otherwise the claim will become “statute-barred”.

In most cases, this would disable your ability to proceed with any legal claims beyond the limitation period.

Recently, Bradley Bayly won a case before the Court of Appeal which allows children to bring a claim on behalf of all of the beneficiaries (including adult dependants who would have been statute-barred) so long as the action is commenced prior to the children’s limitation date.

Different limitation periods may apply to claims by children under the age of 15 at the time the accident occurred (6 years).

If you think you may be eligible to make a claim, we recommend seeking legal advice as soon as possible to ensure you meet the correct limitation period.

When grieving the loss of a loved one, take the guesswork and financial stress off your shoulders and contact one of our legal experts about making a fatal accident claim today.

Related Articles
Whose insurance do I call and can I still make a compensation claim?
8.15.2022Someone hit my car whose insurance do I call, and can I still make a compensation claim?
Wondering whose insurance to you call after a motor vehicle accident?
Read More
What to do after a car accident?
8.25.2022What should I do after a car accident?
Advice on what to do immediately after a car accident.
Read More
What makes me eligible for a workers' compensation claim?
10.9.2022What makes me eligible for a workers' compensation claim?
Your guide to making a workers' compensation claim.
Read More

Bradley Bayly Office

Contact Bradley Bayly Legal 

If you would like to discuss your serious injury claim and determine your next steps, contact us to arrange an obligation-free consultation. We will take the time to understand your personal situation and provide you with preliminary advice. While we are based in Perth, we are able to assist with state, national and international cases.

Contact Us