Sadly, thousands of motor vehicle accidents occur every year on our roads in Perth, Western Australia. We understand how stressful and chaotic the aftermath of a car accident can be and knowing what steps to take next isn’t always clear. It’s especially stressful if you have been injured and are dealing with physical or mental injuries after an accident.

You may ask yourself: What should I do after a car accident?

Our legal experts at Bradly Bayly Legal are here to answer all your questions and can explain in detail what to do after a car accident. Read more about this below.

What do I need to do after a car accident?

If you have suffered an injury in a car accident there are some key things, you need to do to protect your legal rights.

Understandably, your primary concern will be your physical wellbeing, and you should seek medical assistance from a doctor or go to the nearest hospital as soon as possible. The cost may form part of your compensation claim if you need an ambulance.

You should also report the accident to the WA Police and Insurance Commission of Western Australia (“ICWA”) as soon as possible. This can be done by completing an online crash report form.

ICWA is the compulsory third-party insurer that handles claims for an injury in car accidents. You must as soon as practicable notify ICWA of your intention to claim.

What are the details you need after a crash?

When you are involved in a car crash, you must collect the name and addresses of all drivers involved in the accident. It’s also important to get as many details as possible from everyone involved in the accident.

This includes:

  • Addresses

  • Phone numbers

  • Driver's license numbers

The precise time, date and location of the crash are also important, including the street names. If possible, we recommend taking photos of the crash and any damage to the vehicle should be documented as soon as possible. 

Hire motor vehicle lawyers in Perth

If you’re wondering what you should do after a car accident and whether you have a compensation claim, our highly experienced motor vehicle accident lawyers at Bradley Bayly Legal in Perth will be happy to help.

Book a free consultation with our experts today or call us on 08 9511 1712. You can also send us an email at

Related Articles
Whose insurance do I call and can I still make a compensation claim?
8.15.2022Someone hit my car whose insurance do I call, and can I still make a compensation claim?
Wondering whose insurance to you call after a motor vehicle accident?
Read More
What makes me eligible for a workers' compensation claim?
10.9.2022What makes me eligible for a workers' compensation claim?
Your guide to making a workers' compensation claim.
Read More
Injured in a car accident - can I make a claim?
6.1.2022Injured in a car accident - can I make a claim?
Can I claim compensation if I've been injured in an accident? Learn more.
Read More

Bradley Bayly Office

Contact Bradley Bayly Legal 

If you would like to discuss your serious injury claim and determine your next steps, contact us to arrange an obligation-free consultation. We will take the time to understand your personal situation and provide you with preliminary advice. While we are based in Perth, we are able to assist with state, national and international cases.

Contact Us